Monday, September 26, 2016

Great Advice About Air Cooled Porsche 911's

What It's Really Like To Own A Vintage Air-Cooled Porsche 911

My friend Aaron Hatz, who runs a shop called Flat Six here in Minneapolis, told me this before I bought a car: “Every 911 is a $30,000 car. Pay now, or pay later.” Sadly enough, I paid later. With some help from Aaron I rebuilt the top end myself to the tune of thousands. Afterward I hopped in the car, drove about 200 meters and was disappointed. It drove exactly the same, and made no more power. Thousands of dollars spent for no sensory gain. I sold the car.

Unless you’re a “the juice is worth the squeeze” type of person, you shouldn’t own one of these. The prices have gone nuts even on the most reasonable ones. Rusty parts cars are $10k. Even a tool kit to replace yours that’s going missing can cost thousands. A spark plug tool? $800. They’re abhorrently expensive to fix if you can’t do it yourself. A full engine rebuild from a reputable shop will cost you at least $15k. 

(Jalopnik.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment