Monday, June 19, 2017

Still A Long Way To Go To Get Out Of The Foxhole

U.S. Open TV analysis: Fox’s technology outpaces its announcers

Where Fox still has work to do is with its announcers, which tend to be overexposed during long days, such as the opening rounds of the U.S. Open. Fortunately, there’s a solution, which I’m here to offer.

• One of Fox’s best moments Friday was a terrific little feature in which Zach Reineking, Erin Hills’ director of course operations, explained how the course barters hay for furniture with the local Amish community. The feature was short, it wasn’t intrusive, and it told me something interesting that I didn’t know about the club.

• How long is Fox going to continue the failed Holly Sonders Experiment? Last year I wrote that when Fox anchors say, “Let’s go down to Holly,” my thought is, “Let’s not.”

Bottom line: she stinks on TV. I don’t question Sonders’ golf knowledge. She played Division 1 college golf, so she knows the game. She’s just not cut out for the job.

Sonders was fine five years ago in her very limited role on Golf Channel’s “Morning Drive,” but she’s asked to do far too much at Fox. I think a friend had it right when he said Sonders tries too hard to be a personality (“golf’s Vanna White” was his description). But she’s not a personality. She lacks an easy manner on camera, she’s not spontaneous, and she’s not amusing.

She also doesn’t seem particularly competent. On Friday, in a segment with architect Gil Hanse, Sonders couldn’t bring up a graphic of No. 14. “I have never been friends with this thing,” Sonders said of the machine. “Three years now and I still can’t get it figured out.”

Here’s my crazy, completely off-the-wall suggestion: Remove Holly and put someone in that job who can call up the proper graphic.

(GolfWeek.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment