Tuesday, October 24, 2017

The Lost Art Of Time Management

View your time as an investment, and pay attention to what gives you the greatest return

Think of how stingy you are with your money: if someone on the street asks for $10, you’re not giving it to them. There’s no way you’re giving a 30% tip for a normal dining experience. And so on.

And yet so many of us just waste ungodly amounts of our time. We throw it away, every day. I know I do unless I’m careful. What helps me to not waste time is to see it as an investment, and to keep track of the returns I get for my investment.

This approach has led me to recognize that some things offer incredible immediate return on investment: a night spent learning a new song on my preferred instruments, for example, gives me a lifetime of being able to play that song. That’s an incredible return. Other investments are more like low-interest, high security, long-term investments: going to the gym, eating right, etc. Some, like reading good books, are kind of a combination of both.

But many activities are worthless from an investment perspective: whatever benefit they seem to give doesn’t last any longer than the activity itself.

(CavemanCircus.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment